Saturday, January 5, 2013

Alyssa Ferguson, Swimsuit Designer



Alyssa often refers to people as "Earth Angels" but having to get to know her this past year, I found that that perhaps, she is the biggest Earth Angel of them all.  I met Alyssa while vending at the local markets.  She was then pregnant, with her crochet swimsuit line, A Love Story by Alyssa Ferguson, just taking off.  I couldn't believe the commitment and passion that came out of her.  She explained she hand makes and designs every suit, and that she wanted to build a solid business so later on being a single mother, her and her baby did not have to struggle.

 I think what people love about Alyssa is that what you see is what you get.  She is a free spirit as she is a deep lover, a self proclaimed gypsy, wild dreamer and a nurturer, and a total babe.  No stranger to the camera, Alyssa has modeled, surfed and traveled around the world and hopes to give back the same to her baby boy one day.  There was no question where we would shoot her.  Lanikai, known to be the closest place to heaven, a beach where she grew up on and can be seen sewing her suits with her baby Mikala by her side.  Mikala, now 8 months is beautiful and healthy and most definitely well fed by mama.  Watching them together playing in the sand, and the waves, was truly like watching a lioness and  her cub, an unbreakable bond magnified by trust and exalt.  With her swimsuit line, on the rise thats gained a worldwide following now, Alyssa is certain she is on the right path.  She empowers us as a woman, a single mother, and that whatever endurance it took for her, she is living proof of succeeding in what it is you believe in and never quitting until a brighter day comes.




I think, the biggest question is HOW do you maintain your business while looking after Mikala full time and by yourself?
I have no idea! I'm always crocheting even when I'm breastfeeding! He has a lot of fun helping me playing with the yarn, fringe strings, crochet hooks, tags, hangers. I can't live without my dirty chai tea lattes and green smoothies to help me get through the day. My business is just starting so hopefully it'll grow with Mikala cause Its all about multitasking and making the suits as fast as I can. I take him to all the photo shoots every single one which is fun cause their usually in a gorgeous nature setting! He loves being outside so I make the bikinis at the beach while he cruises ! However its so important for me to always put him first before A LOVE STORY!  Reading to him while I make the suits. The art of distraction is Key. I always bump classical music for him while I'm working on the computer like on my online store or BLOG or Pandora baby music and let him crawl around while putting girls in the suits at my house!




What values do you most want to teach Kala as he grows up? Do you believe in having routines?
I wanna teach Mikala to be open minded, spiritual, kind, compassionate, and to follow his dreams however big they may be. I wanna raise him to be a humanitarian and to never be afraid of traveling,, culture, poverty, or diversity. Personally I think routines are awesome we kinda just started one but its mainly around the weather cause if its sunny all day there's no way I'm taking him home cause its 12 and he needs a nap Ill just nurse him to sleep on the beach blanket under the umbrella right there cause I believe in fresh air and a natural setting is best to raise your baby angel. We are earths children and being connected to nature is how I want to raise him linking him with the sun and the moon. However I think having your baby on an organic food schedule is the way to go because it strengthens their immunity wherever they are in the world. Routines make your baby happy cause they know what to expect and feel cozy cozy! 



You grew up in Kailua, and raise your baby there too, is there anywhere else in the world you would be happy moving to?
I want to live in Bali with Mikala in my my Dad's house and design bikinis there and distribute them on the holidays when I go back to Hawaii to see my family. I want to raise him going to Balinese temple and us giving offerings every day to the Bali temples thanking Buddha with gratitude and peacefulness. I want him to surf Indo growing up and not be afraid of big waves. I'd move to Kauai's North Shore also in a heartbeat if I could and have an organic garden and just make suits at home practice yoga drink tea and bake chocolate chip cookies. Look for sunrise shells and surf all day with him would be the ultimate life! 



What did you most realize about yourself after having a baby?
Right before I had Mikala I was modeling in LA for American apparel living a really wild lifestyle. I had been traveling and surfing the world from when I was 18 so when I had Mikala my entire identity  changed and I wanted to go forth with my dream in becoming a bikini designer to embrace my talent and inner creativity. Inner beauty and peace comes from within. I realized how much I used to identify myself in how I looked but when you become a Mom your baby doesn't care what you look like they care if your happy, fun, loving, attentive, zen, stable, and nurturing so he made me stop focusing on the outside as much my inner side.



I know you pretty much live in bikinis, but has your style changed since you had Mikala?  Any fashion tips for new moms?  What's practical what's easy?
My style changed where I became a lot more earthy and boho. Black tops due to nursing and yeah everything I put on now I'm like is this going to be easy to nurse in or will this help cover him while I'm nursing. I don’t do the capes personally. I love Aden Anais bamboo cotton baby blankets and burp cloths. I just think your style should be embraced when you have a baby and you don’t have to feel like you have to conform to the stereotypical conservative Mom just cause you’re a Mom.  I think just having a few super cute staples is key so u can just throw it on knowing your gonna look cute. However if you know me all my friends are like "Lys you’ve been wearing that same outfit for like a whole week straight" cause that’s what happens when a hippie/gypsy becomes a mommy you don’t even care anymore! 



I saw you at 9 months pregnant, and then 2 months after giving birth and you were already BANGING. How did you do it?
I actually don't do much exercise but I am an active person.  I love surfing, yoga, hiking etc.  My house has a lot of stairs too so carrying baby stuff up and down the stairs all day with no daddy to help me carry stuff must come into play.  Being busy and not being able to sleep as much or eat as much as I want to and nursing has made me skinny but I don't deny myself anything. I personally prefer curves and think women are most beautiful with curves.  I love eating.  I am a modern day hippie though and and whatever I do eat is pretty healthy.  I love green smoothies, acai, sushi, and stay on a gluten free diet. 



You are definitely such an inspiration to moms and especially single moms...You've overcome some rough times.  What advice can you give or words you live by for other single moms?
Don’t compare your experience with any other families. Just cause I'm a single Mom doesn't mean your less than. Your bond with your baby will be so tight because it's better to have one solid parent than two who aren’t healthy or stable role models. I  went through my entire pregnancy without the biological father in the picture the birth and the last eight months I've done it all by myself ! Single Moms deserve more props than any other job in the world cause not having the emotional support through the hard times of parenting can drive a woman insane so the fact that my baby is happy and healthy makes me realize there are angels all around us. Being a single Mom takes a lot of strength and courage. You get a lot of judgement but I've traveled and seen the entire world so the key is to have an open mind and not take any criticism to heart or personal because no one would ever understand what being a single Mom is like unless they are or were one too! 


What can we expect from you or your label in the next year to come? Anything exciting you can tell us about?
I'm going to Bali this summer and I'm going to be getting suits manufactured and fringe handbags to match the suits! As Mikala gets older I'm going to be getting an official website and start distributing the suits to boutiques in HI. My suits are not only going to be crochet anymore there's going to be a lot more fringe and lace tye dye and lingerie like. 






 A Love Story can be purchased through Alyssa's etsy store for now.  



2 comments:

  1. Wow super awesome and inspirational. Alyssa, you are one amazing woman! Good luck with your beautiful swimsuit line and Mikala is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is super super hot ! ;)

    ReplyDelete