Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tahiti Hernandez, Singer/Song Writer




Tahiti, is who I wish I was raised by hands down.  If I was raised by her, maybe I would have been blessed with vocal range, rhythm, and swag.  And we all know a little bit of swag in this day of age goes a long way.  You could easily hate Tahiti for what she has going for her, but she is not one you can hate on even if you try.  She's too down to earth, hilarious, and a tomboy at heart. With an album on the way with her sisters called The Lylas and a network reality TV deal sealed, it's no surprise the boys who didn't talk to her in high school are missile kicking each other in the face.  The Lylas has already gained worldwide attention on their own and they are doing it organically.  Being a singer and song writer their whole lives, The Lylas is most deserving of their new accomplishments.  Their brother, Bruno Mars, could easily tweet his 15 million followers introducing The Lylas, but Tahiti makes it clear that that is not what they want.  They want to gain respect on their own, in their own right, with their own voice and win the audience one step at a time.  And for Tahiti, this means all the meanwhile, being a single mom to two boys.

Young, carefree, funny, and incredibly loving, Tahiti is the queen of her boys' worlds.  Both of them, trying to compete for her attention, ran around making it almost impossible to get a shot of the three of them.  That was until, the music came on. Nyjah and Zyah, both turned to their mom with idolizing eyes, anticipating the moves as she sang and lead the boys into a dance.  Not a single ipad, tv, or any sort of gadgets in sight, the boys showed off their dance moves, rode quads and bikes, jumped on their beds and played with their bunny.  Their mom not only looked over them, but joined in on the fun.      Being away from the boys while recording in LA, has made Tahiti make sure she gets out and plays every moment she has with the boys.  Her boys are her priority, and her success means nothing without them.  

A rare refreshing sight to see at the end was the boys' dad picking the kids up for the weekend, while all of them engaged in the conversation as a family.  So is Tahiti a mom that really is having her cake and eating it too?  We certainly think so, and this really is the point of this blog, to really go and get it.  To live the dream, to make it happen and using your kids not as a set back but a drive to success.



Name:     Tahiti Lovenote Hernandez

Something about yourself nobody really knows: I'm a clean freak.                                                

Obsessed with: Bikinis, Shoes, Clothes, and chocolate.

 Guilty Pleasures: Mani-Pedis. ;)

How has motherhood changed you and inspire you?
 I can't explain how much motherhood changed me. It gave Love a whole new meaning. When I look into my children's eyes I get inspired to do better and be better.  I now feel like I was put on this earth to be a mother, and now everything I do, I do it for my boys. 

Music runs in your family, can you tell us about how you were raised?  How do you in still that in your boys?                                                                                          
Growing Up Elvis movies and the Sound of Music were my kind of Cartoons. My family had a show In Waikiki called the Lovenote's ( hints my middle name) where my entire family sang Doo Wop and took you on a musical history journey. We grew up all around music there was no getting away from it.  My boys are seriously musically blessed and I can see it already. My oldest son Nyjah who's 3 will pick up any instrument and its like he knows exactly how to use it. They both love to sing and love being on stage. My mom gives them voice lessons here and there and they can copy notes and are so excited to learn. I couldn't be more proud.


 Your sons have awesome names.  What do they mean and how did you guys pick them?                                                                                                                                

My first son Nyjah Music was inspired by a young skater Nyjah Huston. Nyjah Huston was a cute kid with dreads who turned into a pro skater at a young age and to me that was inspiring. As for his middle name well "Music" in my family is everything. ;) My second son Zyah Rhythm. Zyah means Loyal believer and when I was pregnant with him I already knew he was going to be an amazing kid. With Zyah I couldn't have gave that kid a better middle name. He definitely lives up to his middle name Rhythm, cause I can promise you that kid would win any dance battle. He's got better moves them me. 




You and the boys dad are no longer together, but maintain a good friendship.  That's awesome and I know that doesn't happen often. How does this affect your kids?
 Their father and I have a cool relationship. I believe if the children see Mommy and Daddy smiling then there's no reason to be unhappy. I look at it this way, my kids not only have one loving home but two loving homes. Now that's a lot of love. We do family outings and its great. It really shows the kids that every things OK and were all still happy. He's a great dad and the kids adore him. 


 I am so excited for your show, your album, and everything that's going on with you and your sisters.  At this point in life, at this very moment, can you describe in one word what you're feeling?? Okay, maybe a few words, alright a paragraph.  SPILL THE BEANS!!        

I've been flying back and fourth to try and finish this album and Its been tough so I'm finally making the move to get this done. WE TV will be documenting this whole experience as us 4 sisters make the move and get into this industry. Its going to be a journey cause were 4 sisters in different places in our lives but wanting to reach the same goal. For me juggling being a mom, and trying to finish an album, rehearsals, etc.. its going to be tough.



Your sister, Jamie Kailani has kids.  Do you guys bond a little more now that you have kids?  How does it feel, first experiencing being an auntie, and then being a mother to your own kids.
 My sister Jamie is an amazing mother and I always looked up to her. We are actually very close and she's the one I can confide in when I'm having motherly issues. She's the sister I go to when my kids, and baby daddy drive me bananas. 
      
 You are such a stylin mama.  Can you share with us some of your beauty secrets?  What can you not leave the house without?                                                                                                    

Being from Hawaii we're blessed that no makeup and slippers is normal. Don't get me wrong I love getting dressed up. But when you become a mother comfort but still cute is KEY! All moms need to invest in good pair of converse or toms, some cute hats, beanies and a fly pair of shades and your good to go! 
 
 If it wasn't music, is there anything else you see yourself doing?                                                     

I'm addicted to painting my nails, so I think I would like to be a manicurist.  

How is having two boys back to back? I give you so much credit!!!                                                                                                                      

Having my kids a year apart was a breeze.. NOT! It was hard work but every day that goes by it gets easier and easier. I birthed not only brothers but best friends. I watched there eyes meet as two baby boys and now life long pals. All the sleepless nights are worth it. 

What do you most want to teach your boys in life?                                                                            

Be yourself, follow your dreams and always be their for one another. When life knocks you down, help each other up. And always remind each other how much you're loved. 


1 comment:

  1. wow... very amazing story. Lovin' you tahiti : the lYLAS , Eric & Bruno Mars =)

    ReplyDelete